Friday 1 October 2010

Behind the Scenes:First Month

Okay so September is finished, and apart from a few delays due to real life, there have been new chapters regularly.

This has been an interesting way to write. I did have a vague plan when I started, based on my previous story (as explained in the last Behind the Scenes: http://garhdo-contagion.blogspot.com/2010/09/behind-scenes.html). But as new ideas come to my everyday I can actually incorporate them into the story straight away, providing even more potential for future chapters.

Anyway for new readers, and old ones, here is a summary of the events of September, in order to keep things fresh in your mind as we head forward into October:

Sat 18th: In the evening strange murders occur in Stoke, at my old address. The bodies are missing but the scene is covered in blood.

Sun 19th: I get extremely spooked by the murders. I see many people injured from bites, as well as the emergency services being extremely busy. The news reports on violence in the city. My partner Judi calms me down by phone.

Mon 20th: The police are baffled and believing that a drug is responsible after arresting several attackers. I encounter one of them in the park near Hanley City Centre and run after warning another man about him. Stoke town has been sealed by armed police. In the evening the army arrive and enforce a curfew.

Tue 21st: Soldiers in hazmat suits go door-to-door, asking people if they have encountered infected. The houses are then marked with either green numbers, or red biohazard symbols. Someone on my street is shot dead trying to escape. the radio says that Stoke, Longton, Fenton and Hanley, as well as surrounding areas like mine, were all under martial Law on the Prime Minister's orders. Each house is given supplies. I tell Judi but hide the truth, telling her not to worry.

Wed 22nd: The army attempt an evacuation. While in Longton Market getting processed however, a young woman turns and attacks several others. The army try to shoot her but she doesn't collapse. The shots cause the crowd to panic and flee outside, where more of the undying things are attacking the soldiers. I flee home, observing the chaos along the way. I tell Judi to take the kids and leave the city.

Thu 23rd: Several of them are outside, eating two people who I could have saved had I been awake. Looking online I find that the news has been covered up. I also find a forum of survivors around the city. Judi texted me that she was heading to a B'n'B in the country near Alton with a friend's help.

Fri 24th: I have to disable the electric meters for the other flats to prevent them beeping as it has attracted the things outside. I realised I hadn't heard from my family, probably because the news had been covered up. I decided not to worry them.

Sat 25th: I broke down the doors to the other apartments after researching how to online. I then raid them for food and begin to plan what will last and what won't. However the noise I make attracts them, preventing me from truly exploring. I write my plan of action.

Sun 26th: Judi told me that she was in the B'n'B and that my dad was helping her with money. I told her more about what was happening. I began my research to prepare for when I followed her. I advise people on the forum to share their information.

Mon 27th: I spend the day observing the things outside, including testing how they respond to noise, and recording how long before they stop banging on doors they can't get through. I begin to understand their limitations. I finally tell Judi the complete truth about this.

Tue 28th: I start researching in depth, looking up combat techniques, the right knives to cut flesh, how to find and purify water.

Wed 29th: The story breaks in the national news. People who have escaped the city provide harrowing accounts which appear in all the papers. It has spread right though the Potteries Urban Area. I tell Judi that this means help should be coming soon.

Thu 30th: I go back to the forum, where people have shared their information about the zombies, as well as warnings that the water is stagnant and the power is failing. Meanwhile the infection has spread to the neighbouring counties, the Prime Minister has resigned, and the United Nations are contemplating action.


And so that is the summary of everything so far. Due to real life interruption I won't have anymore updates over the weekend, but the new chapters we be released at once so that I can catch up to myself on time.

And I always appreciate any kind of feedback, good or bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment